Sunday 7 September 2014

when they are gone...............





We have just returned from our summer holiday, 7 days in Hayling Island, Hampshire. As we were packing up the car a friend of mine who has 3 grown up girl's walked past, "Are you leaving now?" she asked, I explained that we were going to be leaving early the next morning. she looked at me and said "make the most of it, this year was the first year we went on holiday without our girls and it was so strange".
I thought about this again as we travelled down in the car, I looked at my three adorable little girls,fast asleep, warm and snug in there pyjamas and I thought how different it would be without them,when it was just us? 
No arguing and squabbling in the back of the car, no asking when we will arrive, no having to stop at the side of the road for the toilet, no having children's music on or singing endless nursery rhymes, just being able to sit in the quiet and relax,maybe even read a book or chat.
But how empty will that car be?
How I will long for those days when my babies were young, when they needed me for so many things,
 I will remember their excitement and their joy, how everything to them was a big adventure, and how seeing there faces light up made my holiday all worthwhile, when all they wanted was my company and my attention.
Suitcases may be lighter then but my heart will be heavy!

So this holiday, I danced when they wanted me to dance, we stayed on the beach for longer when they asked, fed the ducks in their nighties and I tried to make the moments count, taking lots of photos along the way.
One day my girls will be all grown up and going on holidays by themselves,and I will be happy for them, they will be having adventures as they should.  But right now they are little and they are here with me on holiday and so we will laugh, we will smile, we will love.........making the moments count!





.

No comments:

Post a Comment